Dr. Christie in class encouraged us to write our prospectus over again without using the previous draft for reference. I have done this with several sections and I realize that the important part of my argument sticks while some of the other material fades away. This exercise helped clarify my thoughts on my topic and gave me concrete footing in my argument. However, I still need to work quiet a bit on my actual writing and expression of ideas. It is here that I have been sorting the good from the bad. I often see much more bad than good in my own writing; however, seeing my writing from this critical perspective often disables further writing and I find myself like a sailboat without a breeze.
I met with a professor this week to talk about my project, to gauge interest in my subject and get feedback of my approach. He commented that I was a good writer and therefore would be easy and enjoyable to work with. I had quite a bit of difficulty taking in his statement, since I have long thought critically of my writing abilities. However, I aught to take in positive critisim just as I do negative criticism, so that I can have a balance view of my writing. I have a freedom in personal writing that I have not yet been able to lay a hold of in academic writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment